OT: Mike Warnke; Fraud or Restored
The Trumpet of the Lord Ministry
2005-06-21 17:04:04 UTC
14 years after his fall from America's # 1 Christian Comedian, the Rev.
Mike Warnke is still on the road, still preaching, still ministering,
and still trying to get by.

I believe that Mike Warnke has done more to biblically restore himself
to full time Christian service than just about any other minister ever
has who has fallen. Christians are often big hypocrites because we have
asked Jesus to forgive us of our sins and to forget them, but sadly we
refuse to forgive and forget the sins of our fallen Christian
ministers. We must allow our fallen to be restored if they follow the
proper biblical guidelines.Mike Warnke has done this ,he has well
documented it, and now he must be restored.

The influence of Mike Warnke's current ministry is much smaller than
his once multi million dollar empire that formerly packed out big time
Christian events and large arenas. Today Mike draws in a much smaller
crowd, often in the small hundreds instead of the thousands , more like
the size of a Trumpet of the Lord event than one from "America's # 1
Christian Comedian".

The good news is that Mike Warnke has remained FAITHFUL , and that his
reputation is improving as he is being restored as a Christian
minister, who after so many years, has stayed the course and not given
up on his calling, even after going thru some very tough times.

After all, being a Christian minister is all about reaching people for
Jesus Christ, reaching out to "the one", and not about making a lot of
money or being popular.

The good news is that today Mike Warnke is available, and that your
church, even if it is a small one, now can afford a chance to schedule
one of the funniest Christian comedians in America, who also happens to
be very polished as a preacher.

It is tough being a "Christian Comedian"

How would I know you might ask?

Well, from time to time I attrempt to dive into Christian Comedy. I
would describe the Christian Comedy that I do as the most misunderstood
and often perhaps the most hated thing about the Trumpet of the Lord.
The bottom line is that so many people just do not get the bit(s). A
bit is just a bit. But too many take the bit for real and associate the
one doing the bit with the character in the bit. Perhaps this was what
once brought down Mike Warnke.

People just did not get his bit.

But it is not 1991 anymore.

I believe that it is time to forgive and to learn to better understand
Mike Warnke, and his fantastic original bits in general.

The key to making a bit work is that you must never, ever spill the
bit. Can you imagine a ventriliquist that does not pretend that his
"little friend" is real? This is why Phil Hendrie is not as sucsessful
as he could be, because he spills his bit too often. People often get
mad at me and or at the Trumpet of the Lord because we refuse to spill
a bit. I think that it is just plain wrong for a comic to spill a bit,
it is imho as bad as if a magician spills a magic trick in public,
unethical behavior if you ask me.

So pray about inviting Mike Warnke to preach and to do a few of his
bits at your church.

You can learn about Mike Warnke at:

http://www.mikewarnke.com

Is Mike Warnke perfect?

No.

He is, like the rest of us, a sinner saved by grace , someone who is
trying his best to serve God faithfully the best that he knows how.

It is time that we stop casting stones at Mike Warnke and give him
another chance.

God bless you,

Dr. Michael E. Schmidt
***@yahoo.com
http://***@yahoo.com
http://www.floridabiblecollege.org
f***@verizon.net
2005-06-22 05:47:04 UTC
it is not a matter of forgiveness on our part. he never repented! that
is the bottom line. he lied to everybody, and never came clean. EVER!
he denied it, and gave this line about how he "submitted to his
elders"etc. yet, denied it.
Robert Briggs
2005-06-22 18:44:01 UTC
Post by The Trumpet of the Lord Ministry
It is time that we stop casting stones at Mike Warnke and give him
another chance.
Dr. Michael E. Schmidt
You, sir, seem to be a spammer.

<EOT>
D-B
2005-06-22 19:52:47 UTC
Post by Robert Briggs
Post by The Trumpet of the Lord Ministry
It is time that we stop casting stones at Mike Warnke and give him
another chance.
Dr. Michael E. Schmidt
You, sir, seem to be a spammer.
You've got to feel sorry for some poor soul still following Mike Warnke
around like a puppy more than a decade after he was exposed as a fraud.

That is really sad.
Christian M. Mericle
2005-06-23 16:00:15 UTC
Post by D-B
Post by Robert Briggs
Post by The Trumpet of the Lord Ministry
It is time that we stop casting stones at Mike Warnke and give him
another chance.
Dr. Michael E. Schmidt
You, sir, seem to be a spammer.
You've got to feel sorry for some poor soul still following Mike Warnke
around like a puppy more than a decade after he was exposed as a fraud.
That is really sad.
MW was funny, IMO. Why didn't he just stick to Christian comedy? There
was no good reason for being a liar.

Sad. It's like Christians are so boring we have to make stuff up to be
interesting.

-- Christian

Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?section=10025&item=1072182
ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html
LE King
2005-06-23 02:26:42 UTC
Dr. Schmidt,

I was a big fan of Mike Warnke in the 1980s and early 1990s. I
traveled to see him perform at concert events on three occasions,
spanning from Portland, Maine to Atlanta, GA. I owned all of his
comedy tapes, several of his books, and some additional teaching
material. I proudly wore one of his trademark black "No devils"
t-shirts, and even had managed to obtain a near life-sized cardboard
cutout of Mike from his "Out of My Mind" promo that I kept in my
college dorm room. I think I have probably herein established I was
one of his more dedicated fans. I was crushed when I learned he was
not the man he claimed to be.

For those who don't recall, Cornerstone magazine did a major article
documenting in great detail Mike's questionable personal history (you
can read the original article here:
http://www.cornerstonemag.com/pages/show_page.asp?389),
as well as the many verifiably falsehoods and inconsistencies in his
book "The Satan Seller" and testimony as presented in his tapes. The
authors later wrote an expanded piece of research in the book "Selling
Satan" (look for it on Amazon.com).

What I'm getting to is this: the problem with Mike Warnke is not an
issue of forgiveness. Of course, Christians can and must forgive one
another. The issue is not perfection; nobody realistically expects
Mike or any other fallen or redeemed human being to be perfect.

The issue is simply this: Mike Warnke is a fraud. He built his entire
ministry on a series of lies, which he leveraged to build himself up
as an authority on the occult. There's no doubt he's a very funny
man, and can tell some great stories (yes, I DO understand how
comedians embellish a tale for comic effect, but that's not what I'm
talking about with respect to his fraudulent claims. You can't make
up stories that establish your credibility as an authority on a topic
and then, when challenged about their veracity, say "It was just
comedy!").

I hope Mike really has repented and come around. But in light of the
fact that his website still hawks all of his old tapes, it sure
doesn't look as though he has taken his past "exaggerations" all to
seriously. I do forgive him, but I won't stand idly by while he
misleads more people.

LE King

On 21 Jun 2005 10:04:04 -0700, "The Trumpet of the Lord Ministry"
Rufus Leaking

A new take on Elmer Gantry!
The Trumpet of the Lord Ministry
2005-06-25 19:45:03 UTC
Dr. Schmidt,

LE Wrote:

I was a big fan of Mike Warnke in the 1980s and early 1990s. I
traveled to see him perform at concert events on three occasions,
spanning from Portland, Maine to Atlanta, GA. I owned all of his
comedy tapes, several of his books, and some additional teaching
material. I proudly wore one of his trademark black "No devils"
t-shirts, and even had managed to obtain a near life-sized cardboard
cutout of Mike from his "Out of My Mind" promo that I kept in my
college dorm room. I think I have probably herein established I was
one of his more dedicated fans. I was crushed when I learned he was
not the man he claimed to be.
***
Re:
The problem that I see with the church is that perhaps we at times
expect too much out of our leaders, but where do we find a proper
balance between being overly judgemental to the point of snobs who
think that we are better than anyone else (BJU syndrome)and being
christians who tollerate the sins of our Christian "Entertainers"
musicians and "Stars". Last year we saw a big time Southern Gospel
"Star" caught in homosexuality. This guy makes over a million dollars a
year entertaining "Christians". I knew for years that he was practicing
homoseuality on the road while "singing for the Lord".
Guess what? He is not the only one. There is another big Southern
Gospel Music "Star"who is still a practicing homosexual while on the
raod full time "Singing for the Lord". Sadly it does not stop there, a
former music minister of mine who is a big time SGM "Star" is living in
adultry and left his kids and wife. And he is far from the only singer
singing for the Lord while involved in adultry on the road. Drugs,
booze, smoking, cussin , this is the life style of many of those who
are Christian entertainers.

Should we expect them to be perfect?
No
But we also should expect them to WALK THEIR TALK.

I was honored to have been invited by MW to spent some time with a
small group of guys eating with Mike at a Waffle House after one of his
shows about a year ago. From what I could tell imho Mike Warnke is now
walking his talk.
But I was only around Mike Warnke for a short while.
Perhaps Mike has learned the hard way to be the man he should be.
***

[...]

What you call a lie I see as a bit.

If I do a bit, say perhaps pretending to be a 4 wheeler for Jesus , am
I a fraud?

If so Benjamin Franklin was a fraud.
***

which he leveraged to build himself up
***
Or at least his "bit"
***
as an authority on the occult. There's no doubt he's a very funny
man, and can tell some great stories (yes, I DO understand how
comedians embellish a tale for comic effect, but that's not what I'm
talking about with respect to his fraudulent claims. You can't make
up stories that establish your credibility as an authority on a topic
and then, when challenged about their veracity, say "It was just
comedy!").
***
But was Mike Warnke's satanic priest thing a bit of his, in the
tradition of John Todd?

Personally I think the John Todd thing was one of the best Christian
bits of all times.

***

I hope Mike really has repented and come around.
***
That is debated.

Did Mike truly admit that he was wrong?

Without a doubt he admitted to somthing, but he wrote so many confusing
pages about it , honestly his confession reads like an IRS handbook.
***

But in light of the
fact that his website still hawks all of his old tapes, it sure
doesn't look as though he has taken his past "exaggerations" all to
seriously. I do forgive him, but I won't stand idly by while he
misleads more people.
***
From what I could see , Mike Warnke is now leading people in the right
direction.

His gospel presentation was very solid and very clear.
***

LE King

***

No one of us on our own, by our own works is perfect(Eccl 7:20, Rom
3:10,23).

Only he who is without sin (Jesus)can cast the first stone, and Jesus
never did.

Jesus love each one of us, while we were yet (even) sinners, Christ
died for us.
Christ died for everyone!(For the grace of God hath appeared unto all
men)
Only Jesus is perfect, and HE never cast any stones, but rather He was
meek(power under control) and he was silent while he died on the cross
for all of our sins.

Being a Christian is NOT about being sinless, it is about the fact that

even though we are NOT sinless, Christ still died for us.

If we put our faith and trust in Christ, HE will forgive and forget all

of our sins.

When a person truly repents and confesses, we the forgiven "Christians"

should also forgive and forget their sins, just like our Father in
heaven did for Us.

God bless you all.

Dr. Michael E. Schmidt

http://www.floridabiblecollege­.org
http://www.trumpetofthelord.co­m
2005-06-23 04:27:00 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
·²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²··²°¯°²·

I'm guessing the Warnke spammer probably hasn't bothered to read anyone's responses to his post.

·

Wing
2005-07-13 03:58:21 UTC
fs
J. Rollins Brannigan
2005-07-13 17:42:40 UTC
Mike Warnke is about two steps below Peter Popoff and Robert Tilton as
far as I am concerned.

Blech
Kent Wills
2005-07-14 04:16:47 UTC
On 13 Jul 2005 10:42:40 -0700, "J. Rollins Brannigan"
Post by J. Rollins Brannigan
Mike Warnke is about two steps below Peter Popoff and Robert Tilton as
far as I am concerned.
Blech
Nah. Warnke actually *tries* to be funny. The other two do it
without any effort.

Kent
WOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!
Ted Jones
I can't remember the last time I thought warnke was funny.
forevernitefan
2005-07-16 10:36:02 UTC
Kent, ever actually HEAR any of Warnke's albums? This guy does at BEST
some poopie kiddie jokes which stink worse than used diapers. His claim
to fame in the Christian community was his lie about being an
ex-satanist. Now I understand that there are other Christian comedians
around, but Warnke is the bottom of the trash bin. I scrounged up two
of his VHS tapes and the jokes ( when he tolld any) were imbecilic.
Carlin and Robin Williams are TONS better than Warnke. Hell, even Sam
Kineson was better than Warnke.

Moe
Eternal FOREVER KNIGHT fan
" A vampire cop? REALLY?"
Kent Wills
2005-07-17 21:35:04 UTC
Post by forevernitefan
Kent, ever actually HEAR any of Warnke's albums?
Only one. He had a few funnies, but the set up took far too
long for my personal liking.
Post by forevernitefan
This guy does at BEST
some poopie kiddie jokes which stink worse than used diapers. His claim
to fame in the Christian community was his lie about being an
ex-satanist. Now I understand that there are other Christian comedians
around, but Warnke is the bottom of the trash bin. I scrounged up two
of his VHS tapes and the jokes ( when he tolld any) were imbecilic.
Carlin and Robin Williams are TONS better than Warnke. Hell, even Sam
Kineson was better than Warnke.
Note that I did write *tries* to be funny.

Kent
WOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!
Tiny Erection
2005-07-18 05:02:15 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Kent Wills
Post by forevernitefan
Kent, ever actually HEAR any of Warnke's albums?
Only one. He had a few funnies, but the set up took far too
long for my personal liking.
Warnke was never really a "comedian" in the traditional sense of the
word. He didn't really tell jokes. He was more of a story teller, or a
perhaps even a "song and dance man."
Kent Wills
2005-07-18 22:50:18 UTC
Post by G
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Kent Wills
Post by forevernitefan
Kent, ever actually HEAR any of Warnke's albums?
Only one. He had a few funnies, but the set up took far too
long for my personal liking.
Warnke was never really a "comedian" in the traditional sense of the
word. He didn't really tell jokes. He was more of a story teller, or a
perhaps even a "song and dance man."
Perhaps calling him a humorist would be more accurate.

Kent
WOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!
c***@socal.rr.com
2005-07-27 17:24:38 UTC
Post by forevernitefan
Kent, ever actually HEAR any of Warnke's albums? This guy does at BEST
some poopie kiddie jokes which stink worse than used diapers. His claim
to fame in the Christian community was his lie about being an
ex-satanist. Now I understand that there are other Christian comedians
around, but Warnke is the bottom of the trash bin. I scrounged up two
of his VHS tapes and the jokes ( when he tolld any) were imbecilic.
Carlin and Robin Williams are TONS better than Warnke. Hell, even Sam
Kineson was better than Warnke.
Yeah, but they can cuss and get away with subjects that "Christian"
comedians probably can't....

This is a typical Mike Warnke joke (paraphrased):
"...I sprained my ankle and went to the store to get some salve to
put on it. There were two choices....and I chose 'Icy Hot' because
the other one was 'Ben Gay'...and I've never been gay, and ain't gonna
get gay!"

Speaking of Christian comedians, anyone heard of Steve Geyer? I have a
couple of his tapes, and he's kind of good (mostly family anecdotes and
the like, though)
Kent Wills
2005-07-27 21:09:40 UTC
Post by c***@socal.rr.com
Post by forevernitefan
[...]
The name is familiar. Does he have a bit about getting
pinched by his mom on long car trips? Something about how he could
identify each bruise.
"This one is from Disney, this one is Salt Lake City, Utah..."

Kent
--
When cryptography is outlawed,
bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.
c***@socal.rr.com
2005-07-29 04:11:13 UTC
Post by Kent Wills
Post by c***@socal.rr.com
Speaking of Christian comedians, anyone heard of Steve Geyer? I have a
couple of his tapes, and he's kind of good (mostly family anecdotes and
the like, though)
The name is familiar. Does he have a bit about getting
pinched by his mom on long car trips? Something about how he could
identify each bruise.
"This one is from Disney, this one is Salt Lake City, Utah..."
Yeah, it's on the "Slow Men Working" album. I'm listening to it as I
type....
Ted Jones
2005-07-14 04:33:07 UTC
They will undoubtably be a great witness. Too bad Stryper...
I had the unfortunate opportunity to see Stryper play in person at a
club in Richmond Virgina (in the fall of 1985).

It was a spandex fiasco.
AndrewJ
2005-07-15 00:49:03 UTC
What day did the Lord create Stryper -- and couldn't He have rested on
that day too?
f***@verizon.net
2005-07-16 20:13:55 UTC
spinal tap were not even a real band! lol

stryper have a page on myspace! you MUST see this!

<a
href="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8162706&Mytoken=20050715225709">http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8162706&Mytoken=20050715225709</a>
BS
2005-07-30 09:25:20 UTC
I am definitely NOT a Christian... not into the whole human sacrifice thing.

That said, there are some damn good Xian bands out there these days that
play great metal.

At the top of the list IMHO is Underoath.

Brian
San Francisco

Kevin Wayne
2005-06-24 06:46:55 UTC
[...]
Uh huh.

So MW's whole "testimony" was... a bit.

He more or less created and then fed off of a wave of Evangelical
Christian hysteria over witchcraft, satanism, and the occult, that in
some ways still affects the Church... all to sustain a bit.

He told stories of children being gang-raped and crucified by satanists,
stories which ended up being completely unsubstantiated, and those
stories were... a bit.

Wow. MW evidently had a further-out sense of humer than Andy Kaufman.

And in the spirit of Kaufmanesque humor, how about we all agree to
forgive Mike Warnke, but never tell him.

Because, after all, that would ruin the bit.
--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong
The Trumpet of the Lord Ministry
2005-06-25 19:53:59 UTC
Uh huh.

So MW's whole "testimony" was... a bit.
***
Only mike Warnke can answer that.

Perhaps it was. Perhaps Warnke did have somthing at one time to do with
the satanic church and he exaggerated about it and perhaps the bit got
way out of hand.
***

He more or less created and then fed off of a wave of Evangelical
Christian hysteria over witchcraft, satanism, and the occult, that in
some ways still affects the Church... all to sustain a bit.
***
But don't so many love to hate the devil.

Sort of like we love horror movies(Not that I do, I only like the ones
that have a lot of humor in them)

He told stories of children being gang-raped and crucified by
satanists,
stories which ended up being completely unsubstantiated, and those
stories were... a bit.

Wow. MW evidently had a further-out sense of humer than Andy Kaufman.
***

Funny how the best comics are compared to Andy.

My humor has even been compared to Andy.

But much of my homor, like Andy's, and that of MW's is very extereme
and often more hated than loved.
***

And in the spirit of Kaufmanesque humor, how about we all agree to
forgive Mike Warnke, but never tell him.

That was funny.

Now for some fresh milk and cookies for everyone, my treat.

MAYFIELD Milk, made 1/4th of a mile from here guys.
***

Because, after all, that would ruin the bit.

So true, never spill the bit.

Mikey Schmidt

http://www.trumpetofthelord.com

http://www.floridabiblecollege.org

The Trumpet of the Lord is proud to be sponsored by:

PIZZA $250,000.00

f***@verizon.net
2005-06-26 03:48:47 UTC
a "bit"? what in the hell does that mean? truth is truth. lie is lie.
when you have to tell one like to cover for another, for another....i
think it is time to quit.

warnke did not admit to lying. i mean, the whole "i submitted to my
elders" thing don't mean dick! did he counter act any accusation? no!
he danced around them with christain talk.
Jason Steiner
2005-06-28 17:46:29 UTC
Post by Kevin Wayne
Uh huh.
So MW's whole "testimony" was... a bit.
And in the spirit of Kaufmanesque humor, how about we all agree to
forgive Mike Warnke, but never tell him.
Because, after all, that would ruin the bit.
That's the best post I've read in r.m.c in a year.

jason
--
"Listen, my boy, I can't abide children. I know it's the style nowadays to
make a terrible fuss over you - but I don't go for it. As far as I'm concerned,